What is MV – 907A Certificate?


If you already searched for a salvage car on Salvagebid, you know that this auction provides a lot of information about vehicles, their titles, terms of selling, and more. Often you’ll find vehicles listed with MV – 907A, and that can be a little confusing. 

Generally, MV-907A is a salvage certificate issued in New York. In this article, you’ll find out exactly what that is and how you can work with it. 

What is a salvage vehicle in New York?

By US law in New York, a salvage vehicle can be denoted as follows:

  • A vehicle in which the repair costs makes up more than  75% of its pre-damage retail value 
  • A Vehicle given a salvage title in another state and was later transported to New York
  • Was declared a “wreck” by its owner at the moment of sale or transfer
  • A vehicle acquired by an insurance company because of serious damage (collision, flood, theft, etc.) with the MV-907A salvage certificate.

So, MV-907A is a common salvage certificate issued by the New York DMV. It’s not a title though, just a certificate. 

Who can bid on a vehicle titled MV-907A?

Since MV-907A is a typical salvage certificate, the majority of buyers can bid on those vehicles. These are dealers, exporters, dismantlers, scrappers, and companies that modernize vehicles. 

However, some vehicles with MV-907A can’t be purchased by dealers. Those vehicles are marked as “Parts Only” and are available only to scrappers and dismantlers who have a special dismantle license.

On Salvagebid, however, anyone can bid on salvage vehicles without a dealer’s license. 

Do vehicles with MV-907A need to be re-registered?

If you’re planning to rebuild a vehicle and use it on the road, it should be examined by the DMV and get a new title. Vehicles that are 8 years old or newer will get a ‘Rebuilt Salvage: NY’ title certificate.

The DMV examination is a part of the NY State Auto Theft Prevention Program that includes vehicles issued the MV-907A certificate and rebuilt salvage vehicles from other states.

Please, note that DMV won’t issue a title for vehicles that have out-of-state title certificate or those labeled “parts only”, “non-rebuildable”, “non-repairable”, “scrapped”, and “destroyed”.

Buy safely on Salvagebid

With Salvagebid you can bid on any car from any US state, no matter where you are. No dealer license is required. As a trusted IAA broker, we’ll do all the hard work for you. All that’s left is to choose a vehicle and place your bid on Salvagebid.com. Sign up to bid on salvage vehicles online and buy what you really need!

If you have any questions about our auctions or any of the clean or salvage title vehicles featured in our inventory, simply call: +1 (360) 347-1300, Monday through Friday, 7am to 4pm (Pacific Standard Time).

1 comment
Leave a Reply
You May Also Like